What exactly are anabolic steroids?
Anabolic steroids are lab-made versions of the male hormone testosterone that have a similar effect on building muscle mass as the natural hormone. It also enhances male characteristics such as facial hair and a deeper voice in a person.
What are they prescribed for?
- Anabolic steroids play a little medicinal role and are mostly utilized by doctors to assist patients in gaining weight following a severe sickness or accident.
- Some doctors use it to treat osteoarthritis (a condition where bones wear down over time).
- It could also be prescribed in small doses to the elderly to help them gain muscle mass and, in specific circumstances, treat anemia.
- Doctors may also advise the medication to men with low natural testosterone levels.
- But more than being a drug prescribed by doctors, anabolic steroids are usually used by bodybuilders and are widely misused by people looking to bulk up since they assist enhance muscle mass.
- The use of anabolic steroids in the short term can cause acne and hair fall.
- Extended misuse of the substance can also lead to gynaecomastia (growth of breasts in men) and erectile dysfunction.
- In women, it can lead to the growth of facial hair.
- It may also cause extreme anger, paranoia, and impaired judgment.
Years ago, it was rampantly used by bodybuilders. Although this practice is fading away, many continue to engage in it on the advice of their gym trainers. Doctors advise patients not to use any unknown supplements since they may contain anabolic steroids. It is because overuse can harm the heart and kidneys and can produce anger issues.
According to studies, the dangers of using these steroids are many and well-documented, ranging from infertility and erectile dysfunction to addiction and baldness.